Thursday, November 6, 2008

No Passing Sones - Julie


No, no, it's not Stones. She wasn't named by someone with a fear of kidney ailments...


Julie came home with me the same day as Stacker. They were having a two for one sale ;-) She is probably my clingiest dog. She's usually at my side (or anyone else's for that matter) soliciting (demanding) an ear scratch.

She's also my zoomiest dog. I've worked with all my dogs and they have good recalls. We enjoy hiking on a private piece of property nearby. The trails are rather closed in on either side with overgrown bushes, trees, etc. We were hiking one day and came down to a clearing by the lake. Julie started doing laps around us, getting farther and farther out. Well, the real estate ran out and she went flying off the bank and into the creek! I'd like to point out that this location is the exception to the rule. In unfamiliar areas they stay on lead with me.




She really is a crazy dog sometimes. The apartment where I used to live in Atlanta had it's own driveway and garage. I drove a full-size truck at the time so it stayed in the driveway. It did fit in the garage, but I had to make sure I had enough clean laundry because it blocked the laundry room (and pretty much everything else). I would always back up to the garage so I could load the dogs when it was time to go out. I customized it specifically for them, adding a camper shell and carpeted bedliner. I took out the back glass and sealed the cab with the bed so I could heat and cool the back and keep them comfortable. I also built shelves and elevated the floor so I could haul everything I needed with me without hoisting it onto the roof.



So, I would call up to Julie and Stacker to have them come down the stairs, through the garage and into the back of the truck. Julie became so programmed that she didn't think through the process anymore. She took two steps through the garage and jumped into the truck. Well, one day I had pulled into the driveway instead of backing into it. I figured the dogs would follow me to the back of the truck and then jump in. Well, remember Julie's programming? She took two steps, jumped, freaked, then jumped again. End result? Greyhound on roof.



St. Louis, MO - 2003 - Photograph by Ken Standerford


Cartersville, GA - 2006 - Photograph by Shot On Site

I tried her at lure coursing and she did very well. However, during a run in St. Louis, Missouri, she hyper extended her front leg during a turn causing some soft tissue damage. That was over 5 years ago. That injury still turns up in the form of a limp if she's hiking for long periods or races around the yard for a long time.


Julie & Allie in the Narrows of Green River Gorge, NC - 2007

I like hiking with her because she doesn't get far away on our local hikes and she's generally easy to keep with me. However, with her recurring limp, I have to make sure the hikes aren't too long for her.



Signal Point, Chattanooga, TN - 2008

I've learned a lot from her and, because of that (and Jen-thanks hon!), it will only make me more successful with those that follow in her steps. If it weren't for Julie (and Stacker) I wouldn't be where I am now. Adopting these two introduced to me to the great people in the Southeastern Greyhound Club (SEGC). I ended up marrying one of those people and I couldn't be happier. I honestly can say that my life changed completely because of these dogs.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, how sweet she helped you meet Jen.

Addie said...

That really is so sweet...Stacker and Julie are little hound-dog matchmakers!

By the way, your tricked-out truck is AMAZING, and I can only imagine your chagrin to find Julie perched on top of it. I would have had a full-blown meltdown!

Addie

Stephen said...

Addie - That was the truck I told you about when you wrote about your German abomination. I miss that truck, but I couldn't have gotten rid of it at a better time. Right before diesel prices went through the roof!

Zan said...

What a greyt story. You know it really is amazing how choices that don't seem life changing when you make them, turn out to be just that.