Monday, November 3, 2008

Hazel Creek - Part 3




Lucky for me, I wasn't the one who woke up with enough bear fur under their hammock to make a rug! Nothing seemed distrubed so I'm sure we weren't visited overnight.






Day three will take us down Forney Creek to Fontana Lake. Our original plan was to hike back over Welch Ridge via Bear Creek Trail to Hazel Creek and hike out to the boats. Smith was suffering from blisters and I was developing a problem with my right instep so covering that much elevation (up and down) didn't sound like a good idea. Looking at the map we could bypass crossing the ridge by following the lake via the Lakeshore Trail.




At the next campsite we saw a group that had come in on horseback from the other direction. Smith and I decided next time we come out here we would bring horses.



4 comments:

Addie said...

As I watched the videos, I just kept thinking of my Army days, and how feet that hurt or have blisters can really bum your gig when you're hiking (or marching, in my case). My boots were too big at basic training, so I can totally relate.

I really enjoyed watching these clips, and I didn't get any blisters at all!

Addie

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

I'll let you borrow Lester next time for your next outing, LMAO...
Did you guys ever walk any together or did you always walk ahead of Smith? How is this fun? :-p

Stephen said...

We stuck together like glue hiking in the dark to the second campsite. Day one we were together for the entire day. I still had a lot of fun and so did he. I wish he had been closer towards the end of day three. Part 4, which is going out this week, will show you why!

Stephen said...

Addie - Fortunately, I had good fitting boots while in service. However, I have a spine that resembles a mountain road which ultimately gave me an EPTS discharge.