Well, here we are, back at Allatoona Animal Hospital. Stacker has been putting his foot down more frequently so the pain and swelling seem to be going away. We're back to see Denise and Dr. Hiland to see if we can get some better x-rays.
This time the x-ray definitely ruled out a fracture.
Pending a consult with the orthopedist, it's possible that Stacker damaged a ligament (maybe the dorsal elastic ligament) in his toe. The joint between P2 and P3 looks a little abnormal in comparison with the surrounding joints. A fractured toe would be much easier to deal with. The bone could be allowed to calcify and heal and he'd probably be fine. Soft tissue injuries are always suspect. Amputation is an option. I don't like the fact that the injury is on a load-bearing toes, but I've talked to friends who have had a load-bearing toe removed and the dog has been fine afterward.
So now we're in a new splint and will wait to hear back from Dr. Hiland after she has talked to the orthopedist.