Friday, November 14, 2008

Have You Tried Moving?

While I'm not in sales, one of my job functions puts me face to face with our customers. It's inevitable. I'm usually standing on the side of the road staring at a utility pole, deep in thought. Out of the corner of my eye I see a vehicle pull in behind my work truck. I do a quick check of the area. Am I in someone's yard? Did I eat onions for lunch? Will someone hear me if I scream? Working in a rural area it's not out of the equation to be turned into fertilizer and deposited in the pasture across the road. Are cows big fans of Soylent Green? I don't really want to find out. I can typically expect only a handful of conversations:


1. What are you doing here?


2. You're not putting that on my property.


3. Public don't own this, I DO! *spit* (actual grammar used in this re-creation)


4. We'll see about that.


5. My neighbor has it, why can't I?


6. My personal favorite - The life story - How did they know that was exactly the reason I drove all the way out here??


So, I wasn't surprised to have a visitor yesterday while I was pre-surveying a job. It was in the morning (breath relatively minty fresh) and a quick look around assured me that my screams would be heard. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy talking with most of our customers, but you always have an exit strategy.

Customer: "I'm tired of dial-up and I've been trying for months to get DSL and "they" keep telling me I can't get it. They have it across the street." - Aha, good old number 5!

Good, I say to myself. He said "they" and not "you". He's not ready to place the blame on my shoulders, yet. Better not come back with my sarcastic response of "Have you tried moving across the street??".

Does everybody remember the hot new thing decades ago? Dial-up Internet!! Yeah, the sound of raccoons fighting off a pack marauding hyenas reverberating through your Caleco every time you fired up that modem. Ah, memories...

Remember that tv show The Land That Time Forgot? He lived in the neighborhood that technology bypassed. Almost everyone that didn't live on his street could get anything better than what he had. Now, when I make the follow-up phone call to break the bad news, I usually don't deliver that gem to them. I got tired of the profanity-laden onslaught that ensues. However, this man was in luck. We're going to see if we can include his neighborhood on an upgrade we have on the schedule.

Who knows, maybe we'll actually deliver someone's world after all.

5 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Glad you were able to give some good news.

Jen

Debbie (Emma's mom) said...

...as for #6....it's all in the face; just ask Addie. ;-)

Addie said...

Stephen, you must have one of those faces, too! I'm sorry!

Anyway, I hope you're able to make this guy's technology dreams come true. :-)

Addie

Anonymous said...

I was a seed inspector as a college student one summer. We were sent hither and yon in the farm fields of Ohio, trying to find 100 specific acres in the middle of 10,000 that looked alike.
Anyway, in those days, I was always cautious, like you.
But it was the big farm dogs that often stood my hair on end. Nowadays, I would definitely be more afraid of the people!
Stay safe and carry some pepper spray with you!

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Ah, Our jobs are so similiar...gotta love the life story...