Saturday, November 1, 2008

Horse Racing

This past year I've become more interested in horse racing, beyond the Triple Crown races. Jennifer and I took a trip to the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington last year with her sister and fiance and had a great time. It was a wonderful experience to see the legends like Cigar and John Henry (RIP).



By no means do I consider myself a student of the game, but I've enjoyed following a number of horses this year and watching them run in the Breeder's Cup last weekend.





CURLIN



I followed Curlin through his sensational season as a four year old. I applaud Jess Jackson for allowing the fans to see one more year of him before he goes to stud.






BIG BROWN


I think Big Brown is a great horse with bad feet. However, I'm thrilled to see him leave the likes of IEAH and Dutrow and head for Three Chimneys where another favorite, Smarty Jones, is standing.




ZENYATTA

Zenyatta, in her undefeated season culminating with a win in the Ladies' Classic, is a strong contender for Horse of The Year. I hope she or Curlin gets it.


I was amazed at how well the European horses ran this year, but given their typical training, I can see their advantage. If the pace is slow enough, they can practically canter around to the top of the stretch, then explode.


Most importantly, this year saw tracks take on anti-slaughter measures to prevent throughbreds from being sent off to auction. Nick Zito publicly applauded Suffolk Downs for leading the way.

1 comments:

Addie said...

Wow Stephen, those are some beautiful pictures. One of these days I'll get over my irrational fear of horses and meet one in person, and I'd love to see them race. I can see how you could easily get hooked!

Addie