Friday, January 2, 2009

Stealing Away

There's something exciting about heading off for an adventure in the pre-dawn hours, especially on a day normally reserved for laboring at the Death Star.

Previously, I alluded to a future rambling simply titled "Close In, Far Out". Pardon the cliche, the future is now.

I'm hoping to keep a series going that details my hikes to show what is close enough to fit into a day trip.

Congratulations to the Poole's Pooches (poolie and ykngld) for correctly guessing the location of our adventure. However, I'm highly disappointed that you have not visited this location yet and you are hearby signed up for the next trip. Nevertheless, keep an eye on your mailbox. There's a $10,000 third party, out of state check heading your way! You'll notice that it's considerably more than the prize amount. All you need to do is deposit the check and send back the difference to cover promotional and advertising costs...


I love being the first out on the trail which is why we left before dawn to get up there as soon as the gates opened. Cloudland Canyon is about a 1.5-2 hr drive from home base (30 mins from ATL proper). There is one main trail that loops the east and west rim of the canyon. I think it's 4-6 miles. The majority of the hike is level ground, but there are also some sections with large rocks to traverse and the descent/ascent through the gorge can be steep.

The views are totally worth the effort...







The recent rain made for better waterfalls this time!





Had Riley not been with me I would have gone down to the falls for some better pictures. However, the path to the gorge floor is mostly man-made and there are several staircases with metal expansion steps. We've learned that it's a no-go for the hounds. They don't even try it and we'd rather not watch a toe go through one of the gaps in the steps.


When you abscond with an A-team hound you'd better bring your A game because this is the only view you're going to have through the entire trip.



Riley, you're welcome on my hikes anytime!

10 comments:

Addie said...

Wow, great pictures! Looks like you and Riley really enjoyed your adventure. I bet Hoover would really like a hike like this (Bruno probably no so much.), so G & I will have to trek out there in the spring.

Addie

GreytGold said...

Ah, I miss those hiking Saturdays. I did the LLS Hike for Discovery last spring, and hiked all over No GA mountains for 13 weeks in preparate for the Rockies.

For leisurely hikers, the east side of Stone Mountain has a nice trail around the lake that you can take your hound on (best suited for Drew, my lazy boy).

Hmm, check in the mail - I don't think our mailbox accepts checks... Return to Sender, Unopened!

Stephen said...

Addie - Spring??? Seriously? What's with the procrastination??

Zan said...

Love the pictures!! I haven't been to Cloudland Canyon in years. Nick would love it.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Looks like Riley had fun. Maybe I will loan her to you again one day :-P.

Love, Jen (wife)

Addie said...

I am suitably chastened, Stephen...but it's so flippin' cold outside!! My idea of winter sports all take place inside, like roller skating (yeah, SKATING not BLADING), bowling, shopping...you know, the basics of any decent fitness program. :-)

I guess I could put on a coat and just go outside, huh?

Addie

Poolie said...

Wow, I wouldn't have gone to work today if I'd known we were winning the kahuna. To cover the overage amount of that generous third party check, a nice gentleman from Nigeria sent me a cashiers check the other day which I will pass along to you. I'm sure it will cover any overhead costs you incurred during this fine game.

Cloudland has been on our todo list for many years and now seeing those awesome pics I'm glad we're signed up for the next trip... sign up Addie too.

Addie, winter is the best time for hiking.

Oh... I love the 'I drink coffee..." sticker at the bottom of your blog. Thought I was the only one that did that.

Stephen said...

Sorry Addie, I'm totally with Poolie on this one. Winter is my absolute favorite time to go hiking. The more you move, the warmer you are! It was 35 degrees when I got out of the car at Cloudland. I was in a T-shirt within 15 minutes and stayed that way for the rest of the hike. Step out of your shell and dare to do something different!

Anna said...

Great pics! All we have here is Oak Mountain and unfortunately, the only hound capable now is Lucy (aka the BRAT). Hope you enjoy your next trip! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Hiking or walking is more fun in the winter...not as hot. :-)

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Those are great pics, but as Limo and I an avid Dog Whisperer watchers we can't help, but notice that Riley is leading the pack and that is rule number one!
If you're ever this way headed on a hiking trip I'll give you Limo for the day, she loves the woods and maybe she would find you a deer skull!