Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. From time to time we've been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. Well, if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else? All of us together, in and out of government, must bear the burden. The solutions we seek must be equitable, with no one group singled out to pay a higher price.

So, as we begin, let us take inventory. We are a nation that has a government - not the other way around. And this makes us special among the nations of the earth. Our government has no power except that granted it by the people. It is time to check and reverse the growth of government, which shows signs of having grown beyond the consent of the governed.

We have every right to dream heroic dreams. Those who say that we're in a time when there are no heroes, they just don't know where to look. You can see heroes every day going in and out of factory gates. Others, a handful in number, produce enough food to feed all of us and then the world beyond. You meet heroes across a counter, and they're on both sides of that counter. There are entrepreneurs with faith in themselves and faith in an idea who create new jobs, new wealth and opportunity. They're individuals and families whose taxes support the government and whose voluntary gifts support church, charity, culture, art, and education. Their patriotism is quiet, but deep. Their values sustain our national life.



"They" are you.

I wonder if we'll ever hear a speech like this again...

4 comments:

Addie said...

I doubt we'll ever hear this kind of inaugural message again, and I think some people are just more comfortable with having the government in charge of everything. It's sad.

Besides, we'll never have another Reagan. Except the hound, of course!

Adrienne

Alex said...

Can I get an "Amen"?!
Oops- separation of church and state, so I guess not. (yet, another topic).

Poolie said...

Far too many people no longer desire freedom, they just want to be taken care of... it's easier. This reminds me of back before the general election they were running a sound bite from some clueless chicky-boo saying, "If I vote for Obama I won't have to worry about paying my mortgage or putting gas in me car. If I help him he'll help me". Hope that works out for her. Argh... the older I get the more this subject just p!sses me off. Huh, just noticed that my Treo has no semi-colon.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I'll give you an Amen, Alex, and I'm not even very religious! I just love Ronald Reagan! It is no accident that I named a greyhound Reagan.

Jen