Monday, December 15, 2008

What did YOU do this weekend?

Did you wake up and think, "Brrrr, it's pretty cold out today. I think I'll just kick it on the couch in front of the TV." Or did you get out and do something? If so, was it because you had to or because you wanted to?


I wanted to....



I spent the better part of Sunday on the Etowah River, just below Allatoona Dam. Even with the intrusion of residential and commercial properties, it's very peaceful. Very relaxing.


The Army Corps of Engineers typically does not generate electricity on the weekends, so the water level was normal. In the next picture the water mark on the bottom is at generating levels and the top mark is flood stage.




Hey Alabama, look how much more water you get during the days electricity is generated! For those of you not indigenous to the Southeast U.S.A., the Etowah River drains the Etowah Watershed and, along with the Oostanaula Watershed, make up the Upper Coosa Watershed which brings water into the Eastern portion of Alabama via Lake Weiss.


Here's some of the local wildlife.



You may have to squint, but in the middle of the picture is one of the biggest blue herons I've ever seen.

Below is one of the many fishing birds that I encountered. I could never sneak closer to get a better picture. I even tried moving to the opposite bank from them but it never worked. They have beautiful blue and white plumage and spook easily.


These pilings near the US Hwy 41 bridge are original railroad pilings built in the 1800's. Very cool.





Highway 293 Bridge w/Red Barn on right

This is, by far, the most dangerous part of the entire trip. Can you see the water forming a straight line near the old red building? Do you know why?


Lowhead Dam!!

This keeps the trip interesting. This is the Thompson/Weinman Dam. It was built in the early 1900's for the process of mining barite from the surrounding area. There's a portage route around the dam that's not too bad, especially considering there are no alternatives. That's a full-size, can't get your arms around it, tree in the middle of the spill-over. This lowhead dam is dangerous because once you go over it there's a concrete ledge ready to break you and your boat in half. Other dams of this type have such a powerful hydraulic (circulating) current at the base of it that it can entrap boats and not let go.

The last part of my trip took me by the Etowah Indian Mounds

Another river feature that has withstood time is the fish weir.

These fish weirs are an arrangement of rocks in the shape of "V" with the bottom point of the "V" pointing downstream. This creates a pool in the river where fish will naturally collect due to the current. Native Americans would wade out and collect the fish in baskets. These weirs are all over the Etowah River.

Today's takeout is the bridge at Douthit Ferry Road, just behind this old iron bridge. It was a cold, windy trip, but I had the entire river to myself. No fishermen along the banks. No boats to manuver around. Ah, peaceful bliss!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!!

We are always grateful for the water.

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

I hopped on my pony this weekend...
Wow, I never knew C-ville had such cool areas. How long did your trip take?

Stephen said...

Glad you enjoy the water. I didn't spit in it this time =-O

Denise, that's great!! As for the trip, I was extremely lazy and opted for more pictures than paddling. It was 6 miles and I think it was between 3 and 4 hours. I've started near the same point and made it 17 miles downstream to the city of Euharlee in 5 hours.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you opted for the pics instead of the milage :) They are lovely.
You make me feel like quite the lazy person, I simply worked all weekend :( At least now I know what I was missing.
Too bad the greys don't fit in your tiny boat, that would make the pics even better ;)

Zan said...

I spent my weekend at a high school wrestling tournament.

Thanks for sharing your pictures, they're awesome!! There really are lots of cool things to do close to the city.