Sunday, December 21, 2008

So 'Long Old Friends...

30+ years. That's a long time. However, for two of my travelling companions, we will never share another moment together. No more wild adventures. No longer will we enjoy trips to locations new or old.

Sad indeed. But, I feel it's for the best. For you see, these two had deteriorated in health for quite some time. They were barely hanging on to life. I could see the distress in one of them. The other, though, took me by surprise. A glimmer of hope suggested that they might pull through and live to see another day.

Alas, it was not to be.

A little over two months ago, our bond with each other was set on a path in which there was no shimmer of light awaiting us. Only the harsh reality of death greeted us at the end of our journey. Too soon......too soon.

I take full responsibility for the consequences of my actions at that time. I had no idea this was going to happen, but nevertheless, they trusted me to make the right decision and I let them down.

So, on Saturday, December 21, 2008, I made the heartfelt decision to say goodbye to two of my toenails. At this point I can realistically assume that I will be reduced to 50% of my original nail coverage by the time this is all over. This is a result of wearing shoes that were comfortable and broken-in, but not suitable for a three day, 30 mile trek in Hazel Creek. Live and learn, right?

Denise, I have made the tasteful decision to not attach pictures to this. Rest easy.

Hug your toes tonight and reflect on how special they are with attached nails.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Ew, and so sorry for your loss, lol.

Addie said...

First, you really had the suspense going until those last three paragraphs. Nicely done!

Second, Sweet Mother of Pearl! Are you serious?

I'm sorry for your lost toenails, and I hope they gave you some rockin' pain pills, not that Motrin 800 crap they used to pull at sick call. :-)

Addie

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Ewwww... is right.

Jen

Leslie said...

You had me going, I was about ready to look for my crying towel ! It is so sad when you lose something or someone at Christmas. LOL

Just made me thful, my v. word
for this comment

Alex said...

Tell me where I can send flowers ;-)
Give it time, the healing will come.

Zan said...

First of all, thank you for sparing us pictures.

Yuck!!

I am sorry though. It can't feel good.

Hiking Hounds said...

Sorry for the loss of your toenails. May they rest in peace (or should that be pieces?). ;)

Caron

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

That's for thinking of me and not posting a pic! My own toes curl in fright of the thought of losing their beloved toenail! :-o OUCH, does it hurt?

Stephen said...

I appreciate the well wishes, cards, flowers, and gifts I have received as well as offers to establish foundations to study the toenail in depth and develop methods and procedures to prevent premature toenail departure (PTD).

I don't know who "they" are Addie because I didn't have a mouse in my pocket when I performed my own surgery...

Surprisingly, the nail caused all the pain. Once they were gone, it stopped hurting.