Friday, February 20, 2009

Fortified Fire, 1/23/99 - 2/18/09





Please set your tails at half-mast....



My sister's first Greyhound lost her battle with osteo this week. Fire was a great hound and fit like a glove in their household. I've never seen a Greyhound at a coursing trial outrun a lure quicker than her.

I've attached her memorial below. My Sis' reads my blog so feel free to reply here and share your thoughts and condolences...

__________________________________________________________


Fire came to us on an August day in 2003. Wayne and I went to the racetrack to meet the greyhounds, and little did we know that a greyhound named, Fire, would literally dance into our lives. As soon as we told her that she would be going home with us that day, she literally asked Kevin where she could put her paw print on the piece of paper, by jumping up on his desk, so she could go home. She knew that she was leaving that day. Fire has never won any titles or any trophies, but she has played with her cousins, Julie and Stacker who have won some titles and trophies. Her Uncle Stephen has noticed her “lightning” speed and yes he did admit that Fire can and did beat his Field Champion Stacker (when they raced for the fun of it).

Fire went to some field trials and even tried to become certified, but to everyone’s dismay, she outran the lure! Her speed was just unbelievable. She will always be remembered as one very fast dog. Her remaining days were lived in the backyard playing with her adopted greyhound brother, Tornado, and a mutt named, Lucy (part whippet). Lucy would chase her ball and Tornado and Fire would chase Lucy. Lucy would be in the middle and Fire would be on the right and Tornado would be on the left. Would it be a squeeze play?

Unfortunately, Fire had a case of “Happy Tail” and she lost a good six inches of her tail in November 2008. However, that wasn’t the worse thing that would happen to her. Fire started limping on January 8, 2009. She went to the vet on January 12 and our worst fears were confirmed. Fire was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) and due to her age, we chose the best route of medication for her. She will be on pain medication until it is no longer enough. Why her? She is such a sweet and gentle girl with a great personality. She takes food out of your hand so gently and you can actually take food from her, but why would you want to? She gives you that sweet innocent look that makes you just melt inside. Why did cancer have to come to her? She turned 10 on January 23rd! She made it to her 10th birthday and she got a new stuffed bear. Another stuffie to tease her dad with! Sorry, Wayne. She got all the treats she could eat that day plus an extra chicken back. Hey, you only turn 10 once, right?



We have noticed that Fire is getting worse. Cancer is really beginning to take a hold of her. She can’t play in the backyard with Tornado and Lucy anymore and her long neighborhood walks are over with now as well. She still loves to play with her toys and she still loves to eat.

On February 17, 2009, her left leg looks so bad right now. Friday and Saturday were the last two days that she really used it. Sunday night when we got home from church, I noticed the protruding shoulder and the knot in the joint. The cancer had taken over her leg. We were told it could take 1 - 4 months and it took a little over a month for Fire. Maybe if she had rested more? Not my Fire. She didn't know the word rest. She wanted to stay active and that is what she loved, an active life style. So, not to copy you Jen, but Travis and Fire loved the active life....she played hard, she lived hard, and she fought this disease hard, now her fight is over.

Fire passed away on February 18, 2009. She loved life and she loved everyone that she met. She will be sadly missed. Our house just won't be the same without her around. Thank you for noticing her when you would come for a visit. Thank you for taking care of her when her parents went off on vacation somewhere. Seems like everyone who met her fell in love with her and she also fell in love with them. She will be missed by all who knew and loved her.

Rest in peace sweet girl, run in joy.


Forever Fire's Mom,
Anna

13 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I'm glad we got to see her a Christmas. We are so sorry for your loss.

Love, Jen (sister-in-law)

Leslie said...

I am sorry for for your loss, I cried while reading this because I have lost pets, too. Addie lost Cosmo not to long ago. Cosmo wasmy grandson just like Hoover and Bruno.
Fire will be waiting for you.

Todd said...

Stephen, pass our condolences along. It's always a hard time when we lose one of them.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry. 2003? That just isn't fair that it wasn't longer, it is never long enouph.
I hope her memory keeps your heart warm and your thoughts happy.

Anonymous said...

I am Anna's sun, and I loved Fire so much But they are just like people they come and go. I learned that life can not be put on hold. Life must move on. But now she is resting in peace. She is not in pain anymore. I loved that beautiful girl. I'll see her soon in heaven. Fire is alwaysed going to be missed.

Cool Coty said...

I'm sorry for your loss - it never gets any easier, and we never want to let them go. There's one more twinkle in the night sky with her name on it.

Sarah Regan Snavely said...

So sorry for your loss. It is always so hard...

Zan said...

I'm very sorry. We never have them long enough do we?

Hiking Hounds said...

She was so beautiful. She will always be with you.

Anna said...

Thank you all for your sweet comments. Fire was such a sweet girl and will be missed terribly.

Stephen, thank you for adding her to your blog. You did a wonderful job with the pictures I gave you and you picked my favorite out of the bunch. :-) (Fire is laying on her bed with her toy)
I can't thank you enough for doing that for us!

IHateToast said...

i'm sorry. the only thing that has ever helped me was knowing that my pets visit me in my dreams. in dreams, i don't know that they're gone.

R.I.P., Fire.

Anonymous said...

Anna and family,

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I know how it feels to lose your dear friend. I had two of Fire's littermates, Chance (Fortifed Heart) and Seamus (Fortified Jazz) and I lost Chance a year ago to bone cancer. I know that Chance, Fancy and Beast were waiting at the Bridge to run with their sister and they are all whole, pain free, and romping like pups. Godspeed Fire....

Stowe and Maria said...

We are so sorry for your loss. But take heart knowing that your friends here know what you are going through and are rooting for you. You gave her a great life and for that Fire will always be with you.