Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hazel Creek - Part 2

After a good night's sleep, Smith and I set off for day two's destination, the confluence of Forney and Jonas Creek on the opposite side of Welch Ridge.



We were fortunate on day one and part of day two that the trail is also used by horses, so it is wide and clear. Horses are allowed on the first 8 miles or so of Hazel Creek. For the entirety of the trip we did not see one other backpacker. Everyone we came across had come in on horseback.



The climb to Welch Ridge from Hazel Creek was tough. Lots of switch backs and a lot of elevation gained. Up to this point every step we had taken was uphill. We reached the Welch Ridge Trail a lot later than we had anticipated.



We started down the Jonas Creek Trail which would take us down to the confluence with Forney Creek and our campsite for the night.



We reached the bottom of the ridge and it was getting darker on us. It didn't help the fact that we were on the East side of the ridge either.



Shortly after this picture, I saw bear number three. About 200 feet ahead of me on the trail it raced across and out of sight. One thing I've been noticing about these bruins is they are deceptively quiet, even when they're running. Very disturbing. I waited for Smith to catch up before I went ahead. He's been suffering from blisters and wasn't moving as fast as I was.

We hiked the last hour in the dark, crossing Jonas Creek at least three times. We came across a clearing and decided we were staying there whether it was the campsite or not. Well, to our good fortune, it was the campsite. We set up camp and got some much needed rest.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Son! These pictures are really fantastic nature shots! You know, I always like to take "postcard" pictures when I'm on vacation, instead of people in front of every single scenic panorama. That's why we almost always come home without a single shot of Mom and me. :o)

BTW, the video is no longer operable. Was that the bear?

Stephen said...

The video is working fine for me. But, no, that wasn't the bear. That will come with the the third update. Stay tuned!

Anna said...

Hey, bro, I can't see the video either. I like the pics you have taken so far. They make me ready to go back to the mountains again. I'm looking forward to Part 3!

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Nice viedo- part Survivor man and part Blair Witch Project, LOL. Love your commentary, you sound a bit discouraged- I kept waiting for the part where you tell everyone you love them etc in case you didn't make it out alive :-p

I had to click on the video twice, but it worked for me!

Anonymous said...

i was thinking blair witch, too.

we don't have bears, just koalas; however, they make a horrible sound at night when the boys are looking for the laydeeeeze. that sound is much larger than their little bodies.